[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> As I've been following this subject with great interest, I've become
> curious.  Is there a significant difference between the Scottish and the
> Irish genres?  I play Celtic Music (mainly Irish) on the hammer dulcimer
> and play a lot of fiddle tunes, generally preferring the slip jigs and
> tunes with a rhythmic or melodic twist...not much into waltzes and aires.

        Yes, there are some significant differences, on multiple levels. There
will probably be about 10 messages pointing out differences and
similarities.. The one that I want to point out is that Irish music
doesn't have Strathspeys.. To me Strathspeys are very important to
Scottish traditional music. I think I probably play about 40% strathspeys.