At 03:10 PM 10/6/02 +0200, you wrote:

The Reel is generally reckoned to have originated in Scotland and many of the older Irish reels are of Scottish origin. Slip Jigs and Hornpipes are commoner in Ireland than in Scotland, although both exist in Scottish music. Scots play more strathspeys, but fewer polkas, though, oddly enough, many of the tunes played as polkas in the South of Ireland are of Scottish origin.

        I have often wondered whether "quicksteps" in Scotland are related musically to polkas? They seem to have a similar structure, but I don't know anything about the dance.

        Sue Richards