> At 09:34 AM 2/3/03 -0800, Toby Rider wrote:

> But then there is the example of Arthur Rubenstein. At the end of his
> life  he was beginning to lose his technique. He was getting pretty old,
> and the  fingers just didn't work as fluently as they once did. (Think
> of how old  people walk.) But yet, at his last concert, despite the
> finger-slip-ups, he  played one Schubert piece that left everyone in the
> audience in tears.  Classical musicians can be Real Musicians, too.

 Absolutely.. There are really great musicians in every genre, and hollow
ones in every genre as well. David Greenberg is an example of a
highly-trained classical musician that has tons of "soul". I'm just using
the adjective "soul", because I can't think of anything better to call
it. How does he do that? I think it has to do with the fact that he used
the tried and true method of listening over and over to old recordings
and trying to emulate the sounds on them.
 I found in my own playing that once I started to depend on my ears as a
guide to my fingers, good things started to happen.

> Traditional musicians can sound dead-wooden as well, but luckily they
> tend  to be fewer and farther between. Does anyone have theories on why
> this  seems to be so?

 I think it has to do with teaching methods. The first 4 years of my
training on the fiddle was with a classical violin teacher. It was *very*
regimented, and not much fun at all. I played lots of exercises.
 I'm really surprised that I even stuck with it. He eventually yelled at
me and threw me out for good when he found out that I was playing
traditional music.
 In addition, there's still an attitude floating around in some art music
circles, that if you don't start playing when you're 5-years-old, that
your music will never be worth squat. That's an elitist attitude that
doesn't encourage people to focus on what music should really be about,
which is finding and developing a voice to express the things that are
burning you up on the inside.
 Some art musicians have put technique above expression in their order of
priorities. Which allows them to develop the chops to play some very
difficult pieces, but it doesn't necessarily develop them as "musicians",
because as we all know, some of the very best, most tasty music is
actually technically quite simple.
 Alot of traditional musicians, especially blue and jazz musicians, are
very in-touch with the idea of using their instruments to speak.
 I think this has something to do with it.

Toby

--
Toby Rider ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"He either fears his fate too much,