> From: Jack Campin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [scots-l] simple tunes for young fiddlers
>
>>> Anyway, I don't think it's any sillier than "Squirrel in the Tree" jig.
>> Oh no, I was waiting for that Squirrel in the tree jig to come up. Sandy
>> MacIntyre would play that jig at the Gaelic college and laugh. To my
>> horror, other people got excited and wanted to know what that tune was..
>
> ABC please????...

X:002
T:Squirrel in a Tree
R:Jig
M:6/8
L:1/8
C:Tradition Cape Breton
S:Sandy MacIntyre
Z:John Erdman
K:G
A|:BBB B2B|~B2A GAB|ccc c2B|~c2d efg|fff fff|
~fed cBA|1GBde2 d|B3 Bdc:|2GBd b2a|g3 d2g||
|:bbb b2b|b2a gfe|dddd2e|~d2c Bdg|fff fff|
~fed cBA|1GBd e2d|B3 Bdg:|2GBd bfa|g3 g2||

I learned this tune at the first kitchen session I ever went to in Cape
Breton.I've Buddy MacMaster play it quite often actually.  I hear it played
quite frequently at dances.

    But I've never heard anybody except Sandy MacIntyre actually make fun of
it. It *IS* a simple tune of course but to my mind and ear not particularly
humerous in itself. And it IS a good tune for kids to learn the basics of
playing jigs.

I think the reason Sandy smiles when he plays it is because he thinking
about Doug MacPhee (the CB piano player) who absolutely abhors the tune.
I'm pretty sure that Sandy will play it at least once whenever he's
accompanieed by Doug just to jerk Doug's chain.

Cheers,
John