Velikanov, Mikhail wrote:
However, I'm beginning to think that the most sensible plan would be just to upgrade the host-side glibc to a less ancient level.

This won't really prevent this problem from happening, although it'll
probably make it more rare. There is always a chance someone might
compile a dynamic binary with a more recent glibc than the host-side
one, and that'll likely result in a version incompatibility, again. That
is, unless you keep the host-side glibc apace with the latest glibc
releases.

You're right. It won't prevent it from happening, but at least the problem is less likely to happen if the host-side glibc is not as old as it currently is.

By the way, I managed to make my binary run out of /host_usr directory
without having to copy any libs and loader there. To do that, I had to
link all libs except libc statically, and use the same version of glibc
and loader as the host-side (i.e., 2.3.2) at compile-time.

That is a suitable alternative, yes.

However, it seems I've discovered an interesting bug in sb_alien in the
process. You see, my binary is called cov-build, and it appears that
sb_alien considers any binary whose filename ends with "ld" as a linker
and unconditionally inserts extra arguments into its command line before
executing it. Obviously, these extra arguments are not expected by my
binary and interfere with its run (as would be the case with any other
alien binary in place of mine, I think).
I can work around this problem inside my binary, of course. However,
wouldn't you say that the condition for identifying a linker in sb_alien
is much too generic? Can't it be made a bit more specific to linkers in
the future Scratchbox releases?

You're right, it's too generic, perhaps inteded to be simple to begin with but not tested entirely.

More suitable alternative would be something like if the name is ld, or ends with -ld.

If you have a patch, I'd be happy to evaluate and push it in to the repository :) If not, file a bug and I'll fix it in time for the next release...

Regards,

  Jussi