From: Stuart Underhill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 1:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Win32 Snort Question

I am currently building a pair of Win32 Snort (with ACID) machines to
monitor traffic either side of our firewall.

My plan is to make the boxes as standalone as possible which will mean
running IIS on the boxes to allow the ACID analysis tool to run.

Other than standard hardening of W2k, can I run Tiny Personal Firewall or
ZoneAlarm on the boxes without affecting Snort's capabilities? Or my other
thought was to simply cut the TX pairs in the Cat 5 cable so the machine can

effectivly only listen but not respond to traffic.

Also when I tried to harden the box removing Client for Microsoft Networks
aswell as File and Print Sharing stopped IIS from functioning properly - is
there a way to do this and still allow http://localhost/acid to run?

My thought to a way arround this would be to have 2 NICs in the machine -
remove all Client for MS Networks from the sniffing card, and have Client
for Microsoft Networks running on the 2nd card, to enable IIS to function
properly, but not physically connect it to anything - would this be more
secure?

Is there someway that I can run W2k without an IP for the sniffing card - if

I try to set a blank IP windows just moans and won't accept the
configuration.

Thanks for your help

Stuart