>  Also, you can run apache instead of IIS as an
added measure
>of security as IIS has proven to be a bit of an
injection vector for all
>manner of sicknesses...

I'm not about to dictate to anyone what web server
they should run,  but if they've already invested
in IIS, the above statement is somewhat short-sighted.

Most of the 'sicknesses' we've seen of late have
been due to programming errors in the product, but
to be completely correct, the reason the various
malware had the effect they did was due to
misconfiguration errors.

If IIS admins had disabled ida/idq script mappings
when they installed the server, they would NOT
have fallen victim to Code Red.

The dir transversal patch was released in Nov '00,
yet sadmin/IIS (aka, 'poisonbox') ran rampant in
April '01.

I've done incident response on IIS web servers and
when I've asked some admins for the web server
logs, I've received a zipped archive containing
three .evt files.

So perhaps it's not so much the product as it is
those responsible for managing it.  After all, if
someone misuses a gun and shoots himself in the
foot, is the gun manufacturer then responsible?