Yes, you're completely wrong :)

Basically the gig is that snort doesn't use the tcp/ip stack at all.
You tap into the packet driver and see it at a raw level and leverage
the fact that snort (or windump, ethereal, etc) can read the adapter and
deal with it that way.

Think of it this way, the pcap shim you install listens to the digital
signals on the (promiscuous mode) card, and snort listens to pcap.  It's
nice that way since you don't have to worry about protocols, so all the
signals come through and you can see IP, IPX, etc. la la la...

hth,
chris