Thanks for your help.

However since my original posting, I have discovered that W2k (perhaps NT
aswell - yet to test) can be run without an IP address.

The IP appears in the registry in twice in separete areas, by setting the IP
to something easy to find (eg 1.2.3.4) and then searching the registry twice
for 1.2.3.4 - you can then either clear the contents of the key, or set to
0.0.0.0 (you can delete the subnet, etc from here aswell)

When running IPconfig the information displayed shows no IP address
allocated for that network card. Snort continues to run without issue.

If you try to use the network control panel Windows will complain that no IP
address is set, so the process will have to be repeated if another change is
made.

I have tried searching for information on how to make or where to buy
"listen-only" RJ45 leads - but without success. Does anybody have any
information on these leads??

Thanks

Stuart Underhill