May be some kind of real-blacklist will be ok?

Posted somewhere, mailed between sysadmins and so on.

I got DoS-ed on one of our servers (an irc server) with a STUPID icmp flood
(which managed to bring down the link of our isp...:p)

The result:
20-30 automated "official" messages from that donkey sysadmins saying that
their network is being pinged by my server on broadcast address...
Hmmm..

I explained them:
1. is not ok to setup automated messages for this issue;
2. what a icmp flood looks like, the philosophy, etc;
3. that he/she MUST deny any inbound/outbound traffic from the broadcast
address.

The result?
You'll never guess..
a) no reply.
b) several days later, same thing. icmp flood. then the "official scarry
message"

Well, in this case i should consider some kind of blacklist of week or puny
sysadmins.
Secondly... it would be GREAT if all isps around the world will install a
MINIMUM DECENT ip spoofing applied to OUTBOUND traffic.
Is really not so hard.

At least, ie for the icmp flood the attacker will be forced to launch the
icmp ocho requests from inside victim isp.

--
__
Serban Teodorescu