Some of the Back Orifice detectors were the first to do this
that I know of.  Since many people scanning for BO were actually
infected with it, it became a fun game for some people.

If the true attacker would want to take this a step further, they
would spoof the address of another ,or several other, IDS that is
set to "counter-attack".  Now the counter attack just turned into
a nice little war ;)

Although, it may seem cool to have a counter-attack system in place,
its just serving as an additional front that a malicious person
could use to turn your network on others or on itself.  Along with
the legal and ethical implications, blah, blah, blah...

Even active response (tcp teardown & dynamic firewall rules) can
become burdens.

I believe the fundamental steps of security could be stated this
way:  reduce your surface area and add more layers.

Dan