IMHO I would say OS X is more secure by default. While both can be beat
into submission (and it does take some beating and patches for XP :-D)
Apple has done a pretty good job. The whole idea of taking a open
base/kernel and build on top of it helps add a little more security
because of the many eyes idea. And if you want to you can install gcc
and compile some of the general Unix/Linux tools for security and
security checking.

I must point out I think that OpenBSD is the most secure out of the box.