> > On its own, yes it is. Coupled up with regular patching of security
holes,
> > monitoring of logs, a good IDS that is setup to mail/page you, correct
> > configurations, and a good background on security, it is actually
useful.

> You are right. It would seem that we are arguing about different things,
> then. My claim that StO is a bad idea was based on the scenario that it
> is the first (and in some cases, only) trick used to "secure" a box.
> That is what I thought the discussion was about.

The original mail asked just about how to modify the apache banner.
The peson was given the answer along with the advice as to not rely on this
as the only measure of protection. It was a good advice.

And then Jay Dyson misunderstood the intent and purpose, and presented his
misinformed view as to why header munging should actually be avoided
(irrespective of whether additional security measures were taken or not. Or
at least his mail clearly carried that tone.) StO is actually harmful on its
own. But it can be a good additional measure along with the other security
measures).

> > Which only goes to prove how you have skipped studying current trends.
Don't
> > take it personally, but any admin who does that, is a graver danger to
his
> > network, than the most skilled cracker.
>
> I think this bit of flamage is a bit unjustified, but I will let it go.
>
> > Heard of a couple of exploits for openssh ? And openssh is widely used.
Ever