Netscreen...perhaps, perhaps not.

If you want anything fancy, like load balancing--unless they've fixed the problem, it
doesn't work.

The interface is clunky...

the bigger problem is failure.

If a system/software based firewall fails, I can rebuild it in very short order.  If
the Netscreen, Linksys, Netgear, etc, basically -- an "appliance" fails, I cannot do
so.

That, and with a home brew firewall, I have a MUCH better idea what is going on under
the covers.

The appliances tend to be simpler to setup for a novice.  That is the only
advantage...well, that and space.

If you're on a small budget, a 486 or pentium class PC with your choice of
Unix/Linux/BSD OS -- and a little elbow grease (following some docs at linuxdoc.org),
you have a low cost solution.

Or, drop some more money on a low end Dell desktop and either an NT/2000 based
firewall (such as Raptor) or a BSD hardened firewall package like Borderware -- and
you have a solid solution.  The advantage here is application proxy protection.  There
is no interface fowarding going on (like the average NAT/packet filter firewall based
on Linux or FreeBSD) -- it takes packet filtering and adds in an additional layer of
protection.

Borderware has a real nice DMZ setup to run with the normal firewall.  Only drawback
is you pay for it.  But the software is worth every penny.

If you go appliance based..then yes, Netscreen is much, MUCH nicer than Linksys or
Netgear.  The latter two are not intended to handle professional traffic...regardless
of marketing hype.

Your best bet might be to make a checklist of features, requirements, cost, etc and do
a side-by-side to see what works best for you.

Good luck,

bryan