<snipped>
> In other words, OpenBSD would probably be superior, but is it
> worth using while I climb the steep learning curve?

I used FreeBSD, so I can't speak about OpenBSD, and it depends what you
mean when you say you "know a little unix" but....
I managed to install FreeBSD on an old 486, recompile the kernel to
include firewall support, configure NAT on the firewall and put in place
a basic firewall ruleset that does what I want.
In total its taken me about 2 months of irregular tinkering to get this
far - there's been a couple of frustrations but everything I needed to
know has been available on the net and pretty easy to find.
As far as my unix experience goes, if I tell you that I can't open
emacs, I can't close vi and that I edit all my text files in pico it
should give you a fair idea of how much I know.
If you're remotely interested in UNIX I'd say go this way - its NOT as
hard as you think ( I know people who've had more grief configuring
Winroute than I did arguing with natd) and its a great way to learn.
But thats just my opinion

Tom