A: Overwriting takes a while if it's done properly, especially on slower
drives. If erasing with the other program is faster, it either uses fewer
overwriting passes or it doesn't take care of flushing file buffers and data
is never actually written to the disk. Either way, as a rule of thumb,
faster erasing means worse security - instant erasing of even large files
usually means no security at all.

However, if you find Eraser to be too slow for your taste, and you can live
with lower security, use another overwriting method with fewer passes; that
should speed things up.  << This paragraph is also from the FAQ.

--Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer Fountain [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 3:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Data erasing tool

I have been evaluating a lot of data erasing tools (as of late) because
we are sending servers and workstations back to our leasing company.
One that I have been particularly looking into is Eraser:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=37015.

It seems to do a good job but I am in testing phase now.  It does take a
LONG time - but you will have that.

I am wondering - Has anyone else evaluated this tool and what do they
think?

Jenn

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm