GNU coreutils contains the shred command

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/

This will be found on many bootable linux CDs such as SuSE Live
Evaluation CD (intel-compatible only)

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/suse_linux/index.html

and probably knoppix

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm