Thanks for the links. On biomedgt, I see that the Category inheritance
is used to make a class heirarchy:
http://biomedgt.org/index.php?title=Special:CategoryTree&target=BGT_TopThing(%40)&mode=0

Notice that each category not only is the subject of a subClassOf
relation, but also many other relations that describe the class, which is not
allowed
by OWL DL.  See the rich fact box for BGT Antigen Gene:
http://biomedgt.org/index.php/Category:BGT_Antigen_Gene(B54432)

The category BGT Antigen Gene is in the category of BGT Gene as a subclass of
it:
http://biomedgt.org/index.php/Category:BGT_Gene(B16785)
But notice that BGT Gene is in the category BGT Gene Kind.  This is not a
subclass
relation, but rather the class BGT Gene is an instance of the second-order
class BGT Gene Kind.  Indeed, the RDF export wrongly uses subClassOf:
<owl:Class
rdf:about="http://BiomedGT.org/index.php/Special:URIResolver/Category:BGT_Gene-28B16785-29";>
   <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="http://BiomedGT.org/index.php/Special:URIResolver/Category:BGT_Gene_Kind-28B179-29"/>
</owl:Class>

So once again, even in this semantically aware application, category is
improperly
used for both "subClassOf" and "instance of", and many properties other than
subClassOf
are applied to a class, so we need OWL Full anyway.  This is a case for not
relying
on the wiki category system, and needing explicit "subClassOf" properties.