-----Original Message-----
From: S Page [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:25 PM
To: Harold Solbrig
Cc: semediawiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: your interesting ontology example (Re: [SMW-devel] Classes vs.
Categories)

Harold Solbrig wrote:
> See http://biomedgt.org/  or http://www.wiktolog.org/agrowiki/

These are interesting, the first Semantic MediaWiki I've seen using SKOS
concepts to annotate categories.  I couldn't find any simple concepts
like "actor" or "automobile" for beginners!

want to create new semantics if we don't need to and (b) the resources
that went into agrowiki were all OWL or SKOS to begin with. Agrovoc is,
at the moment, a Thesaurus with an Ontology inside wanting to get out.
SKOS, at the moment, is a language primarily focused on communication
thesaurus-style resources, although it has ambitions for being far more
once it grows up. There has been some discussion on the W3C level on how
exactly SKOS and OWL align.

something pre-canned around as a starter?

> It is our hope that ontology developers will be able use these
> resources (or at least the first one) to comment on and propose
> changes to the ontology contents.  We export these proposals in a
> Protege-OWL editor through the RDF export mechanism,

Do you recommend Protege-OWL for RDF exported from SMW?  Does smoke come
out of it when presented with garbled MediaWiki categories?

>>> OWL would work only if you've got something somewhat OWL-like going
in.  I've got a hunch that the "smoke" analogy would be a good one were
you to take the existing MediaWiki assertions and attempt to put them
into a DL classifier.  I think that it would be a fascinating
experiment, however.  Has anyone "SMW-ized" a small, relatively
self-contained section of MediaWiki?  I'd be interested in giving it a
try.  As I mentioned below, there is some transformation that needs to
occur.

>  although we have to do a goodly amount of transformation to
> accomplish this.  Ideally, we would like to reach the point where we
> can generate real OWL through the RDF when applicable.

I think it would help if you used the SMW import vocabularies feature.
E.g. you have
<http://www.wiktolog.org/agrowiki/index.php?title=Property:SKOS_inScheme
(inScheme)>
but you don't say [[Imported from::skos:inScheme]] or have
MediaWiki:Smw_import_skos, so such well-known properties get exported as
SMW properties instead of ontology elements: ExportRDF has predicates
like
   <property:SKOS_inScheme rdf:resource="&wiki;Rdfs"/> that you have to
map instead of
   <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="&wiki;Rdfs"/>

>>> Thanks!  I'll take a look at it.  This topic got put on the
back-burner a while back and, like so many back-burner issues, never saw
the light of day again.

BTW, I think in agrowiki's version of Semantic MediaWiki (version
1.0-RC2),  semantic searches only search in the main namespace by
default, so inline queries don't return all the annotations of
categories and properties unless you explicitly list those namespaces.
You should consider upgrading.

>>> As I said, the agrowiki site has fallen into a bit of disrepair and
we need to give it a complete software + content refresh.

Cheers,
--
=S Page