Jeff,

Despite appearances to the contrary, we actually classify this using OWL
DL. What is representing on this site is an ontology that was developed
with a classifier that predates OWL by some years, but has been mapped
into OWL DL.  What isn't obvious, however is:

(a) We map almost all of the assertions in the FactBox into annotation
properties, as names, synonyms, textual descriptions, etc. aren't the
sort of things provide value to a DL classifier.  In OWL 1.0, this
involves a bit if trickery as it doesn't allow you to subclass
owl:AnotationProperty.  I believe that this shortcoming has been fixed
in OWL 1.1...
(b) The "Kind" entity that you mention below is not intended to be a
second-level category.  It is, instead, an indirect artifact of the
classifier that was used to create the ontology.  The classifier was an
ELH variant that allowed role value maps and, as such, didn't allow role
domain and range restrictions.  The "Kinds" were a partial work-around,
as they were declared to be disjoint.- See: "F. W. Hartel, S. d.
Coronado, R. Dionne, G. Fragoso, and J. Golbeck. Modeling a description
logic vocabulary for cancer research. Journal of Biomedical Informatics,
38(2):114-129, 2005" for all the gory details.  In any case, we will be
eliminating these from the contents in the not too distant future.

The information that does get mapped into the DL is that in the
associations section.  Using your example below, you will see:

Parent: Gene (primitive)
Every instance of Antigen_Gene Gene_Plays_Role_In_Process at least one
instance of Immune_Response.

If you look at the source for the page, you will find that these are
created by two templates:
{{LexWiki_Parent|1=BGT_Gene(B16785)|view=Defined|def=partial}}
{{LexWiki_Association|1=BGT_Gene_Plays_Role_In_Process(R37)|2=BGT_Immune
_Response(B18103)|qual=some|view=Defined}}

Which contain sufficient information to produce:
1) Antigen_Gene is a subclass of Gene
2) This information was explicitly stated (vs inferred by a reasoner)
3) Antigen gene is not fully define (e.g. this is a subclass vs. an
equivalent class)
4) Antigen_gene some plays_role_in_process immune_response

At the moment, we aren't transmitting all of this information to the
classifier via RDF - we were waiting for the "nary relations" to settle
down and will be incorporating it shortly.  We get around this
limitation by assuming:
1) assuming all subclass relationships are "subclass" vs. "equivalent
class"
2) assuming all objectProperties use the existential quantifier (vs.
universal)
3) not transmitting inferred associations (which is correct.)

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with your argument about second-order
classes. Fischer, in
http://www.ipsi.fraunhofer.de/orion/pubFulltexts/Fischer_1998.pdf
presents a pretty convincing argument for them.  Some examples of this
sort of things can be found deeper within the BiomedGT resource.  One
example (albeit not very good, as it has no real business being in this
resource) are individual countries, although they probably just belong
on the instance level.  Another, which is much more interesting involves
the relationships between genes and alleles.  A particular gene is a
fairly abstract thing, representing a closely related set of nucleotide
sequenes that "typically" appear in a known relative location on a
particular chromosone and who have a relatively constant pattern or
motif. An "allele", which is an exact sequence of nucleotides that
occurs at an exact (?) location, is an *instance* of a particular gene.
Despite this, "allele" doesn't describe an individual in any sense of
the word, as there can be anywhere from 5% to 99% of the human
population that manifests this particular allele and, even if you do
narrow it down to a single individual, there are a billions of cells in
the individual's body that have an instance of that allele.

This relationship is not currently represented in the BiomedGT resource,
but a new model will be forthcoming in the next year or so.

Cheers,

Harold Solbrig