> Plain numbers are interpreted as years. There could be another syntax for
> what
> you want here, though. Should not be a major problem, if we have a syntax
> proposal.

Well, it's just a number, stored in database. Maybe percent sign as prefix?
[[Date::>%internal_date_number_in_seconds]]
[[Date::<%internal_date_number_in_seconds]]
where internal_date_number_in_seconds can be double precision float as
in Historical Date format,
or 64bit int. Anyway, it's just a number, I just hope it will be
possible to {{#eval}} to add or
subtract any number of seconds. But, there should be a parser function
or templates, which converts
usual representation of year, month, day, hour, min, sec to and from
that numerical representation.
> That is already in place: SMW will accept English data formats in any
> language
> (this is a requirement for upgrading existing wikis anyway).

Ok.

>> Also, localized formats aren't fixed, here in Russia the same date can be
>> displayed either as
>> or
>> 13.10.2008
>> so, it would be nice to be able to specify formatting in printouts,
>> something like
>> {{#ask:...|?Date{d.M.y}|...}}
>>

> We have thought of enabling this later on. It might also be possible to
> specify printout formats by example, to avoid complicated syntax.
>
> The { } is the first concrete syntax proposal for adding parameters to
> printouts -- for output formatting, we can use #... already, but maybe {}
> could work for other parameters. Would
>
> ?date{limit=3, format=ul}
>
> be nice?

The sharp sign (#) would also be OK. I just don't understand what limit
and format has with Date type.
I think limit and format does belong to the query itself, not to
particular Date printout.
Obviousely, you should be able to use different formats in one query:
{#ask:...|
?date1#|m.d.y||
?date2#|D M j G:i:s T Y||
...}}
but is there any purpose to limit one printout to three rows, while
another to 5?
You're right, that closing curly brace is not required, because vertical
line (|) is already a separator..

>> Dates are horrible thing - they use complex numerical base. I've had a
>> pain of building
>> a query which should return pages of memorable dates from past
>> centuries, where only
>> day and month should match with current one.
>>

> Yes, that would be difficult.

To make it much simplier, one probably would store  integer values of
y,m,d,h,m,s
in separate fields corresponding to every numerical date. Then, such
queries can be
performed much simplier. I believe that memorable dates are important
thing for many wikis:
{{#ask:[[Date1::>{month=3,day=5,year=*}]]|...}}

>> These templates helped me a lot:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Date_computing_template
>> many thanks to hard work of the people who had implemented these.
>>
>> By the way, these templates already ISO8601 compliant:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:YMD2MJD
>> Maybe it would be nice to have compatibility with such templates.
>>

> Thanks for the pointer. We will have a look.

Hope it's useful.
Dmitriy