On 03/10/11 10:50, Dan Bolser wrote:

> Thanks Markus,
>
> Perhaps a very dumb question, but what advantages are there to using
> subobjects over real pages?
>
> i.e. When is it recommended to use a subobject over a regular page?
> (That is, disregarding peoples sensibilities over 'too many' or
> 'messy' pages, which are purely subjective).
>
> Currently, the main reason I use SIO is because they work so nicely
> with multi-instance templates in SF, but this is a SF limitation
> rather than a decision driven by 'data design' or modelling
> considerations. (One form can only edit one page at a time).
>
> Probably this was discussed at SMWCon, but if there is no other
> permanent record you can point me at, it would be great if you could
> put the key points here.

There was not too much of a discussion about the general motivation.
Subobjects are really just like pages as far as the structure of the
stored data is concerned. However, there really are cases where the
creation of a page would seem inappropriate, e.g., when the subobject
merely groups two values. For example, you would not want pages for
"300g butter or margarine". In other cases, the policy of the wiki might
be to not have individual pages for some item, even if it could be
argued for as an individual subject (like my address example).
Subobjects let you handle such situations in a more flexible way.

Regards,

Markus