Hey,

> a map can have several polygons

Sure. Which polygons a map shows is determined by the query it visualizes
the results for. When creating the definitions of the polygons you should
not have to care to much of which polygon will end up on what map. You just
create a data structure that makes sense and ensure that you can actually
do the kind of queries you want to do.

>  Would this structure be a fair assumption?

No. Imagine you have a pile of articles of cities, then you could have a
property such as "Has location" (which is of type polygon) which would look
like:

If you have an article describing an object that has multiple polygons, for
example a group of islands where each island needs a polygon, then you
simply have multiple such properties on the page.

exactly how can i point additional metadata to this object?

In order to be able to point to an object, it needs to be of type page. So
you cannot out of the box specify a property such as "Has stroke color".
One option is to specify the polygons as part of subobjects [0], which can
then also hold any extra extra info on the polygon.

In a way it would be nicer to not have it as part of the subobject, but it
actually behave like one, in which case you could have a list of "Has
point" properties. This way you could do stuff like querying all the points
in a polygon that have a latitude more then x. This requires some more
thought I think - anyone more thoughts on this?

[0] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Subobject

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw