On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 16:19, Bernd Fondermann
> <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not quite :).
>>>
>>> Also even if the server is headless, it can handle Swing and AWT, Java2D:
>>> everything. E.g. for tomcat, you need the:
>>> java.awt.headless=true
>>> property for it.
>>
>> I know. Yet, I'll never gonna be trying.
>>
>>> The Swing Client runs on the client with JNLP - Just like any browser.
>>
>> I'd never be touching this client. I'd very much prefer a web GUI.
>> Even if this Swing app would play vintage vinyl jazz records for me, I
>> wouldn't care. - Ok, maybe *then* I would. I would listen to it, but
>> use the web GUI for administration instead.

>>> Every Java required to run JAMES also has Swing.
>>
>> But this is not necessarily true in the future.
>
> And honestly, I can't think of any student wanting to code a Swing app at
> GSoC.
> But you'll never know, they hack on the obscurest things...

i recommend asking the student just to replace RemoteManager with a
more modern and capable framework capable of self-description then
fitting JSON and shell interfaces. this wouldn't be as much work as it
sounds but would give much more function than either a tightly coupled
swing or webui.

- robert