On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 04:39:27 GMT, Jakob Cornell <d...@openjdk.java.net> wrote:

> This will fix a few issues with the tests added in #5290:
>
> - [ ] intermittent failures
> - [x] tests should use `failure` method to report problems rather than
> throwing `AssertionError`

I'm not sure whether this is expected to be a platform-specific bug, but I've
been assuming it is since I've never seen the failure on my Linux system.

I started with the Windows failure and noticed that the JDB loop mechanism
doesn't seem to be working:

Sending command: 2 2 up
reply[0]: End of stack.
reply[1]: main[1]

That would seem to be the cause of the "Unexpected output" error, but I can't
reproduce the behavior manually on the x86-64 Windows system I have access to.
With repeat on:

main[1] 2 2 up
End of stack.
main[1] End of stack.
main[1] End of stack.
main[1] End of stack.
main[1]

I wonder if Daniel can provide any more information that might enable me to
reproduce the issue for debugging.  If not, I don't think I can diagnose the
issue.  Another question I have is whether anybody has attempted to find the
point the bug was introduced by backporting the test to earlier versions of the
JDK.  I think that would essentially mean reducing the test to `2 2 up` or
similar, since the `repeat` command is brand new.

I'm assuming the Mach 5 failure has the same underlying cause; I could try
virtualizing Linux on PowerPC to try to reproduce that one, but that seems
likely to take a lot of time and unlikely to turn up anything useful.