Guys, there is a booklet that comes out every years called "Golf Balls".   It compares every brand / compression of golf ball on the market at 80MPH / 90MPH / 100mph plus in the last issue that I got they also compared drivers hitting just one type/style/name brand ball.    The driver were a Titkest 975, a GBB, a Callaway ERC and a NIKE.   The longest ball, @ a 90MPH Swing Speed by 6", was  a Topflight.   second was a Lady Precept @ 80MPH.    The over all range of all balls at all swing speeds, if I remember correctly, was about 25 yards.   Of course this test did not use the newer lower compression balls.

RK

Manufacturer's of World Class Golf Club Repair Equipment
-------Original Message-------

Date: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 05:29:42 PM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: golf ball compression

Hi;

Even longer ago than the GD study, perhaps in the mid-seventies, an
Australian University posted test results on golf balls. They tested 100,
90, and 80 compression balls with a robot device much like the one USGA
uses. The robot was set to make contact at something like 100 mph. Balls
were all brand new, all from different companies. The conclusion drawn,
based upon several hundred hits, was that higher compression balls went
farther than did lower compression balls when struck at the same swing
speed.

A couple of years later, a university in the mid-west, it may have been Iowa
or Ohio, did the same test and got the same results. Conclusion from both of
them? 100's went farther than 90's which went farther than 80's. However,
feel is a major factor in selection a ball. Here in Central CA, where the
temperature is hovering at about 100, hard balls don't feel too bad. Top
Rocks feel like Noodles, and Noodles feel like pancakes. In the winter
months with temps in the high 30's/low 40's, the Precept Lady seems to feel
best.

TFlan