----- Original Message -----
From: Max Dupilka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:12 PM

> So it looks like we have a bit of differing opinions here. Dave, you would
> suggest that the COR, for a given clubhead/ball combo,  is close to a
> constant for all clubhead speeds. Tom seems to indicate that the COR is
non
> linear enough to make a significant difference.

You're right about a difference of opinion. At least I think you are. You
have correctly stated my position -- I said there's a little variation in
COR, but not enough to matter. I also said that there is even less variation
in the COR improvement due to a flexible face. I'll let Tom say for himself
whether you correctly paraphrased him, but that is how I read his note.

To highlight our difference, consider two of TW's statements:
> > This matter of loss VS ball squashing is NOT
> > linear.  If it were, then twice the squashing of the ball would produce
> > twice the energy loss.  What happens is as the deformation of the ball
> > doubles, the losses more than double.
 -- and --
> > If you make ONE face thickness to fit all
> > golfers, the more the golfer's swing speed decreases from the highest
> > swing speed the face is built to withstand, the less ball velocity to
> > swing speed improvement will be realized.

These don't necessarily follow. With the same face thickness, the higher
swing speed will produce more deflection of BOTH face and ball. That means
that the lower swing speed will experience a higher ball velocity to swing
speed ratio. Now let's consider the IMPROVEMENT due to a flexible face,
which I think is what TW was trying to get at. Certainly the higher clubhead
speed NEEDS more improvement, because it squashes the ball more. But not
only do the energy losses increase faster than proportional (that is,
nonlinearly); so does the force required to do the squashing. So it's not
obvious that the improvement is greater for the higher clubhead speed.

I believe both TW and I believe most of the results of a paper by Alastair
Cochran ("Club Face Flexibility and Coefficient of Restitution", Science and
Golf III, 1998). He uses a nonlinear spring for the ball, resulting in the
sort of loss characteristics that Tom refers to. The reason I think Tom
believes this paper is that its results agree precisely (for an undamped
spring face) with his statement:

> > 4.  If you plot a curve of the COR VS the Spring Rate of the face, the
> > COR starts out at a low value with a face that is very flexible and
> > increases as the face assumes a higher spring rate until the peak is
> > reached at about a 0.86 COR value.  Continued increase of the spring
> > rate results in a LOWER COR until the idea levels out to a point where
> > the face would be totally rigid, at a COR of about 0.76.

That paper is the only place I've ever seen that curve, so I suspect we're
both working from that as the source. Let's see what the paper has to say
about variation of clubhead speed -- because Cochran DOES look at that in
his paper.

It plots the curve for a lightly damped clubface, for two clubhead speeds:
30m/s and 50m/s. This corresponds to about 67mph and 112mph.
 * For a rigid clubface, the lower clubhead speed gives a COR of .773 and
the higher a COR of .756.
 * For the optimum-flexibility clubface (it isn't exactly the same
flexibility for the two speeds, but it's really close), the lower clubhead
speed gives a COR of .828 and the higher a COR of .818.

Hence my statement that the lower clubhead speed gets a somewhat better COR,
because it doesn't squash the ball as much. This is true for both the rigid
face and the optimum spring face. But let's look at the improvement, because
I think that's what was really being asked, and what Tom answered.

Going to an optimum spring-face (with the assumption of light damping) from
a rigid spring face gives:
 * For the 112mph swinger, a COR improvement of 9.2%.
 * For the 67mph swinger, a COR improvement of 9.3%.

Just a tiny bit better for the slow swinger, but not enough to make a
difference in ANYBODY's golf game.

I stand by my previous statements, unless somebody can show me an equally
convincing work on the other side. Cochran's paper is out there for anybody
to see and criticize.

> It seems a lot of the COR would depend on the construction of the ball,
> maybe to an extent that the flexing of the face is almost irrelavant. I
> don't know.

It would seem.
I really don't know, so I won't say anything.

Cheers!
DaveT