When I was a young bull, I played X100's in my old First Flight irons. Control was excellent and predictable, but the distance was probably not what I could have gotten by going a bit softer.

Now that I'm an old(er) fart, I no longer have the desire to crank like hell on every shot. I play most of my shafts fairly soft, but still lean toward a stiffer shaft in the woods -- pretty stiff in the driver, less so in the fairway woods -- so that I don't have to get so damned fancy with timing the hands.

IMHO, an aggressive, low hdcp golfer can probably get a lot of good out of an X set, but I just don't have the motivation anymore.

OTOH, my dad is 79, has lost most of both his timing and strength, and still absolutely insists on shafting everything with S300 or X100 at standard lengths. Says he can't maintain control over anything softer. He actually told me the other day that he'd play 2x4s if he could get them down to a D2. As a test, I have occasionally built him softer shafted fairways and utility woods. When he catches them right, he gets excellent distance and decent control. When he's not on top of his timing, though, he's erratic in distance and direction. Once the clubs are reshafted with his customary boards, he's right back to his consistent but short game.

Maybe there's something to it.

BTW, the old man was scratch for nearly 30 years, so he's pretty savvy about what works right and feels right for him. I trust his opinion.

Burgess