-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dave Tutelman
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: How to pick torque?

At 09:13 PM 3/20/03 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Seems like quite the difference of opinion but it is starting to make a
>little sense (I think). Dave, I have been out of engineering school for
>quite some time but your math looks right to me. From that and some of
these
>posts we can generalize a bit.

OK, let's assume that my calculations were in the right order of magnitude,
and examine your generalizations:

>1. Stronger swingers and maybe faster tempos need lower torques?

That has been a principle accepted by many "authorities" in fitting. It
does agree with my calculations.

>2. Bigger (wider) heads need lower torque?

Absolutely! Bigger heads put more than proportionally higher twist on the
shaft.

>3. The next thing then is could we maybe move a customer into a softer flex
>with lower torque to improve distance without a loss of accuracy or is that
>too much of a streach?

You are assuming that a softer shaft means more distance. I don't believe
this in general. But I suspect this would be a worthwhile strategy for
fitting some golfers. In the meantime...

Charlie B just said he was going to try just the opposite. He has a strong
player (Canadian Tour) that hits an X-flex best but says it feels boardy.
He is going to try an X-flex with a higher torque rating, to see if that
gives him the distance with a softer feel. It will be an interesting
experiment. If I had to guess, I suppose that Pat's comment about
dispersion will spoil things a little. But you never really know until you
try it.

Cheers!
DaveT

---