At 02:54 PM 10/1/03 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 10/1/03 1:38:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

what is a good
reliable method of checking torque on a shaft?  can you recommend equipment
for a low volume work shop? thanks - Jim

Check the archives here for directions and plans on building a torque tester. I think Dave T provided these.

Wasn't me; it was RK. Should work just fine.

I posted the plans for building your own frequency meter.

You want to be a decent amateur machinist to build RK's torque tester, and a decent electronic hobbyist to build the frequency meter.

OR... You could buy the Club Scout from John Kaufman's company. Both frequency and torque in one unit. A serious shop needs both; a low-volume shop should probably have a frequency meter before a torque meter.

I built my F-meter in 1996. If I were starting today, I'd probably just buy John's. (I like mine better than any of the commercial units, because of its no-reset continuous readout. But building it is a big investment of effort for that ease-of-use feature.)

Hope this is helpful.
DaveT