NASA, in the early '80s, used something called a 'mini-computer'
produced by an outfit, MODCOMP out of Ft. Lauderdale. Armed with a 64KB
store using magnetic core technology, a Winchester head per track disk
subsystem packing a whopping 4MB of storage, a trio of MODCOMP II's
controlled the launch sequence for the  Space Shuttle. Using a common
set of inputs, each computer voted on any given step in the launch
procedure.  The odd man out on any vote was prohibited from taking
further part in the decision tree. The OS was written in assembly
language. NASA was such a stickler for consistency and dependability
that manufacturing was prohibited from making _any_ changes to the
hardware design, including fixing any bugs whatsoever in the logic
(discrete 7400 chips). Very little of the logic was embedded in
firmware, it was all hardware, giving the beast tremendous performance,
and to tell you the truth, it wouldn't surprise me to find those MCII's
chugging away to this day.

 ... I have a devil of a time removing masking tape from the shaft when
re-gripping. I looked at a tool designed to remove tape, a kind of
scraper, but I can see myself gouging hell out of the graphite shaft on
my driver. I haven't had a lot of luck using my butane torch and I tire
of peeling the stuff off by hand. Any suggestions?

Sam Martin
C-SPAN
400 N. Capitol St, NW
Suite 650