As long as we're walking down memory lane...

At 06:53 AM 2/1/2010, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
You were slightly earlier and closer to the source I guess. When I started with computers in 1970, it was with a 4 KB computer, of course using magnetic core memory, and teletype and papertape as I/O devices. I very well remember having to key in about 12 instructions on the frontpanel as bootloader, to start the machine. Programming then was witchcraft in assembly language; a totally different activity compared to programming nowadays. But it was only 6 years later in 1976 that I was so lucky to visit Bell Labs and meet the likes of Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan, and hear about the UNIX operating system, which I used since then. Looking at my Android-based mobile phone, based on Linux/UNIX, it is sometimes difficult to really grasp the progress what has been made in 40 years.

I often stop and smell the progress. I have some really funny stories about that, but no time this morning to convey them.

The computer you started with sounds like a DEC PDP-?? (maybe an 8). They made more computers that fit your description than anybody, but there were a lot of manufacturers at the time that didn't make as much of a name and went under fairly quickly.

Sorry I didn't know you then; we could have had lunch when you visited. I worked for Bell Labs and knew Brian Kernighan.