Thanks Capt. Mellow. That really helps.

As payback I'd like to pass along a short vid of some fall colors I shot in our new surroundings. http://vimeo.com/groups/16610/videos/7164984 .Added some gentle music that I wrote. It'll go along well with your final glass (if you're not dozing on the couch by now, this will help).

John

John,
So far, you're working on how frequency will change with head weight and length. I'll address that (you're close, but not quite right). I'd also like to address two other factors you are ignoring:

(1) How flex changes with frequency and length.

(2) How heft changes with length.

HOW FREQUENCY CHANGES WITH LENGTH:

1cpm per 2g of head weight is pretty close. That's a fairly good rule of thumb.

8cpm per inch of length is a good theoretical number (assuming you are lengthening from the butt, not the tip). But it tends to vary substantially from shaft to shaft. You really have to measure it for the shaft you are using. Frequency meter clamps are generally pretty good at doing this.

Anyway, if the rules of thumb hold for the components you are citing, then the light head is offset by length at about 1 5/8" to give the same frequency. (Not quite the 2" that you cite.)

HOW SHAFT FLEX CHANGES WITH FREQUENCY AND LENGTH

You may be a believer in flat-lining frequency -- or you may have just forgotten about slope. But if you do believe in slope (specifically, the slope that most experiments on the subject come up with, from Joe Braly to today), then you have to allow 8cpm per inch or so for that. So the 1 5/8" is pretty much eaten up by the slope, and you need to soften it by an additional 13cpm.

HOW HEFT CHANGES WITH LENGTH

It won't be much of a difference between MOI and swingweight, so let's use swingweight as our measure of heft.

Reducing the head weight by 27g reduces the swingweight by almost 16 points.

To restore 16 points by lengthening the club, you need an additional 3 inches.

If we were talking about MOI, the additional length needed would be 2.5 inches.

Both of these numbers were easily obtained from the tables at <<http://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/swingwt3.php?ref=> http://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/swingwt3.php>.

So, in order to use the 175g head instead of a 202g head:

* Lengthen the club by about 2.5-3".
* Get a shaft that's about a flex and a half softer.

I'll be glad for anybody to review my calculations, because I'm halfway through my evening glass of wine and feeling mellow. I hope it isn't too mellow for numbers.

Hope this helps,
DaveT