I thought of another benefit to a shiny new XML format

All the files could be merged into a single shorewall.xml file with
different sections.
<config>
<adminisabsentminded>true</adminisabsentminded>
</config>
<rules>
<rule>
</rule>
</rules>
<tcclasses>
</tcclasses>
etc...

Again, this could optionally be accomplished with any format that can
implement nested key-value pairs like json.  I'm not familiar with yaml.