On Mar 20, 2013, at 6:50 AM, Danny McPherson <da...@tcb.net> wrote:

> Interesting presentation here:
>
> http://www.cs.bu.edu/~goldbe/papers/Cooper_RPKI_BFOC.pdf
>
> "The RPKI (Resource Public Key Infrastructure) is a new infrastructure to
> secure Internet routing
> It’s been in deployment since ~2011 But, it also creates new risks
> (misconfigurations and takedowns)
> that could make IP prefixes unreachable"
>
> Given we've been concerned (and vocal) about this from an operational
> perspective since RPKI's proposed "tight coupling" into BGPSEC discussions
> many years ago...

So, I'm a little confused...  (wouldn't be the first time :-)

The presentation states "Importantly, RPKI validity must impact routing
decisions.", which I guess we have to take as a truism if RPKI is to have
any effect at all on routing security.  It then goes on to equate cert
revocation (and resulting loss of a ROA) with an impact to reachability.

I don't understand how they conclude that loss of a ROA would be a
reachability impacting event (on its own), since any party using
routing policy as outlined in <draft-ietf-sidr-origin-ops-20> is
almost certainly going to end up using an announcement which is
now NotFound origin instead...

Danny - Is there really a "tight coupling" if providers are
following the recommend BGP origin validation best practices?

/John