<disclaimer: i haven't read the paper in full, i've started and so far
it seems more solid than the slide deck>

I agree with John's observations. We need to stop making the statement
"no roa == no route", because it's simply not true.

So far in my reading of the full paper, many of the 'vulnerabilities'
they mention (quotes intended, I'm not sure the word is properly applied
given the context) appear to (1) depend of how RPs handle the 'Unknown'
validity state, and, more deeply, (2) to the very nature of the
tree-based model of trust.

For (1), I believe that we're still a long way from dropping unknowns,
and we're definitely going to 'build the road as we go' (paraphrasing a
very well known Chilean poet). Additional work might be needed in this area.

For (2), I share the misgivings, but, do we have anything better ?
Should we stop using tree-based models of trust until we do? I don't
think so. Until now, this has worked reasonably well. Given the sheer
amount of certification authorities out there, the fiascos like Digi
Notar have not been that many. In the case of the RPKI we are talking
about a more restricted universe that can be audited more easily and
into which other safeguards could be built.

cheers!

~Carlos