> I agree with John's observations. We need to stop making the statement
> "no roa == no route", because it's simply not true.

There's something I probably don't understand here...

1. SIDR's ROA/RPKI infrastructure is designed to provide security for
route origination.

2. Security for route origination means that you shouldn't be able to
advertise routes unless someone in the infrastructure (other than you)
has stated (publicly through a signed certificate) "this is a valid route."

3. But... If there's no certificate for a route, it's perfectly fine to
advertise it and route to it.

It seems, to me, that if the RPKI can't be used to actually validate who
owns what route with certainty, we're going to a lot of trouble for
nothing... Or maybe folks are trying to have their cake and eat it to.
"We'll provide solid security which you can ignore if you like, no
problem."

I know this goes back to the difference between "unknown," and
"invalid," but if all address space which no-one actually claims is open
for whatever use anyone wants, then are we really making any progress in
any meaningful way?

Just a thought...

:-)

Russ