>> In our analysis we associate number of CAs in the global RPKI with
>> the number of distinct IP resource holders.
> sure, and as a proxy for that 'AS Operator', it's not a 1:1
> correlation to be sure but it should be reasonably close, no?

do we have anything other than conjecture on which to base estimations
of the numbers of CAs or repositories?

> I jump to 'CA == REPO == AS-Operator == ASN allocated' because lacking
> any direct data otherwise it seems like a good estimation of numbers.

great example of conjecture.  do you have any fact/measurement-based
idea of how many CAs or repositories there might be five or ten years
from now?  the only data i have is the small number of IRR repositories
and whois servers.  and i suspect/hope that is a poor estimator.

but i very strongly doubt that any significant portion of the stub ASs,
84% of the ASs, will run CAs.

randy