Excerpts from 1_Place's message of Tue Nov 10 16:05:47 +1100 2009:

> My previous rant was after attending "Raising the awareness of
> intellectual property amongst the business community"  which stated:
> "This forum will feature three expert speakers providing their
> perspectives on the topic above"; however, no one seemed to think that
> there was a problem with Patents & IP nor where there any suggestions
> that the views such as those reflected by SiliconBeach existed!
>
> My thoughts were that there was an elephant in the room!
>
> Jay - thanks for your thoughts - it should be scalable but alas, it
> currently is not: the legal costs are so very high to revoke or defend
> a patent that it often is a game for empowered.  Possibly a Patent
> Court that efficiently resolves patent disputes would be beneficial?
> or just more red tape?
>
> Patents for small player are valuable as negotiation tools and can
> lead to a valuable return when pursued (from the matters that I have
> been involved in it has been worthwhile).  Also, as yet I have not
> worked with a client that has not valued their patent highly ... but
> this is not the full spectrum of experience.
>
> Richard - thanks also for your thoughts & links (alas, not read yet
> but I will):
>
> The patent library works for me because:
> 1) it is free: many academic journals you have to pay a subscription
> for.  The contributor pays the costs to enter material into the patent
> system, not the reader; and

Are you suggesting that it's free to publish get a patent? Is it even
free to see all patents (I realise there are some sites that allow you
to browse patents but is that all patents).

> 2) it has a set format (objective, background, problem to be
> overcome ...) and is most often translated into English, so you can
> search it.  I know of no other library that has hundreds of years of
> entry in the same format.

They may be literally translated into English but I would argue that
it's not possible for a layman to *understand* them.

Software patents haven't been around for hundreds of years.

Please don't get me wrong I'm not adverse to the concept of a patent
system, my main problem the current implementation (I'm mainly talking
about US patent law, I realise that the Australian patents are slightly
saner) and software patents in general.

> The Creative Commons license (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license)
> is for copyright.

I understand that but surely it's a legally binding document clearly
stating your idea and under what conditions you can use it. After all
software is released under a copyright of some description.

> As for Open Source - I am a great supporter of it.  The patent
> database does not stop people putting information into the public
> domain and is often the means for people adding information into the
> public domain since the decision to collect a royalty is up to the
> applicant and the opportunity to collect a royalty is for a limited
> period of time: http://1plaw.com/1P/expert/expert_wizard.php?area_id=12

So can I add an idea to the patent database for free and put it in the
public domain without hiring a solicitor? Surely there are other ways of
putting something into the public domain (I don't really subscribe to
your view of the patent database as a library)?

rgh