From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-austra...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of 1_Place
Sent: Monday, 9 November 2009 7:16 AM
To: Silicon Beach Australia
Subject: [SiliconBeach] New business models to protect inventiveness

Dear Silicon Beach

Reading the LifeGuard paper: http://www.siliconbeachaustralia.org/lifeguard/
& considering what can we do to help, we thought that we would seek
suggestions from Silicon Beach for ways to improve start up access to
legal and patent attorney services.

Our belief is that there are other obstacles that prevent starts up
from having a easy path to success, one of which is the cost of IP
protection - and in particular patent protection!

We would really appreciate any thoughts on how we can offer legal and
patent attorney services and still survive ourselves. Is there a way
that we could help IT start ups to secure patent protection for new
inventions and not go under ourselves?

One way is to provide help for startups to put in their own patent
applications. We have an initial teaching aid for patents at:
http://www.1place.com.au/expert/expert_wizard.php?area_id=12

Please let us know other ways that we could change the way legal and
attorney services are offered to help make Australia more competitive.
Any thoughts on this?

We are sure that there are good alternative business models worth
trying; therefore, we are looking for your input.

Thanks

Michael
1p.com.au