One of the problems I often see with US software patents is that the
"non-obvious" step looks to be a bit of a joke, many seem completely
obvious to someone with any skill in the area. Perhaps a shorter time
frame would help ... or maybe different rules on what is obvious or not
for software as opposed to other patents.

A few years ago I casually thought of an idea for an e-card website that
let multiple people sign a digital card before sending it to the
recipient. It popped in my head after receiving a normal paper card
signed by some colleagues at work. I thought it was a good idea, so
searched the net for anyone doing it and found a press release that
Apple had put in a patent application for this "invention" (this is it:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=mAqiAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

I'm not sure if this patent was accepted, but this looks to do more to
stifle innovation than increase it. I wasn't planning on developing this
idea, but it has always struck me that if someone else did, would they
have had Apple asking for a cut if it was successful, and does the risk
of that happening stop things being developed?

--
Chris Carpenter
Director

phone: +61 2 8850 4039