my understanding of the process is that the lawyer will be craftily
turn your specific invention to make it has general and as widely
applicable as possible with infringing other patents (and sometimes
even that general). In this way your patent goes from being something
valuable for protecting your business to something much more valuable
to have in your arsenal to use against any competitor or someone who
has patents you want to cross license.

That "generalising" of your patent is pretty tricky and lawyer-ish in
my understanding but maybe a lawyer could answer that better.

---
Dylan Jay, Plone Solutions Manager
www.pretaweb.com
tel:+61299552830