a few random thoughts:

1) generally I agree with the author (Bill Taylor), a team of pretty
good people can beat a couple of stars, over the long term, if they
play well together

2) he's not being fair to Zuckerberg and the rest: their quotes are
about comparing 5 stars to 5 *mediocre* people, not to 5 *pretty good*
people which is what Taylor is talking about. Especially in
programming, worse-than-average people make things harder for you, by
creating technical debt and causing more problems than they solve. So
it's a different issue there.

3) A different but related point is that it reminded me of a book I've
skimmed, Talent is Overrated
http://www.amazon.com/Talent-Overrated-Separates-World-Class-Performers/dp/1591842247
which contends that people aren't really "talented" as in being born
with an ability, all the best people are trained over years, have a
very strong work ethic, and are willing to get back up when they fall
over. These are the marks of a true "talent", and only a small part of
that is about genetics. The same ideas are discussed in Gladwell's
"Outliers" and a few other books that have been popular over the last
few years.

Brendan.