Love the coaches idea too.

I setup a weekly "show and tell" with one of my development teams a little
while ago. The idea came out of a joke, but it ended up being incredibly fun
and valuable. We basically spent Friday afternoons sharing cool patterns,
frameworks, and potential project related ideas. Lots was learning for some
people, lots of productivity holes filled, and lots of bonding.

Many project managers and team leads could probably introduce 20%
time/coaches/show and tell without getting any super high level buy-in, as
long as their team's continue to deliver. Most just don't think about it or
are afraid of taking on the risk.