On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:44, Caroline Gordon
<carolinegordon...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there a gender divide in startups?

On the data, you'd have to say yes, absolutely there is, but I don't know
that the causes of the causes of the divide are super clear.

In tech at least:

   - Technical/engineering/developer degrees have a horrible ratio.
   Something like 5% of undergraduates in computer science are female. There's
   really no way to come back from there. Why don't young women choose
   programming as a degree area? I don't know, but this is a big deal.
   - Flowing from that, people form natural stereotypes and expectations.
   It is wrong and unfair and in my experience never meant with malice, but it
   happens. I was at a tech focused event in SF last week. There was a better
   M:F ratio than usual, and in the conversations I had, all of the F's were
   working in a marketing/PR/admin role, with the exception of Marissa Mayer
   (who incidentally is lovely and an awesome role model). The consequence of
   these stereotypes is that it makes it much harder for female entrepreneurs
   (again, I'm just talking about tech here) since the default assumption when
   they meet someone is shaped by dozens to hundreds of previous interactions.
   As a credit to the male entrepreneurs I know, when they meet a female
   entrepreneur, they apply the same criteria of meritocracy to their
   interaction and frankly women who've managed to overcome so many obstacles
   to be in the arena are highly highly likely to be some of the best
   entrepreneurs you'll ever meet.

Beyond these observations about the metrics and the interactions/treatment
of women tech entrepreneurs, it is hard to say. Perhaps your observation
about the default role of many of the mums in your school circle says a lot
too - doing anything that isn't the standard/normal thing is always harder,
but the rewards for success are generally better for it.

I can't remember the exact words and so attributing the quote isn't easy,
but one of the US Generals (in Afghanistan I think) said something like "we
need to make decisions based on where we are, not where we want to be". I'm
sure all thinking people would love to see a tech scene where there are
lines out of the ladies as well as the men's bathrooms at events, but
perhaps the first step is to lend support and encouragement to the women in
the arena and encourage them to be role models to try and increase the
number of young women choosing tech as a career.