++

__
Michael Harries
Citrix Startup Accelerator

On Nov 21, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Andrew Roberts <andrew.robe...@ephox.com>
wrote:

As an Aussie who moved to the US I would say that the more encouragement
and support we can give for Australian entrepreneurs to move here the
better. I appreciate the patriotism to keep the best and brightest at home,
but I think it is misguided.

The San Francisco Bay Area is different. You can stay in Australia and be a
big fish in a small pond or come here and be a small fish in a big pond.
The more entrepreneurs we can get learning to thrive in the primordial
swamp of Silicon Valley, the better Australia will be.

Right now we have less than 100 influential Australians in the tech
community of the Bay Area. That is pathetic and I would love to see that
double within the next 2-3 years. One of the biggest barriers to success
that Australians have is that we are too cautious in making the jump here.
We need to suck it up, come to the big smoke and prove we can make it.

Australia only loses a relative few tax dollars by another 100 people
residing, often temporarily, overseas. The net benefits to Australia of
having more influential tech entrepreneurs expats has to exceed any lost
tax dollars. As an example, my company (that I founded in Brisbane but now
have the HQ in Palo Alto) employs more than 20 highly paying jobs back
"home". Their collective taxes far exceed in one year the amount of tax I
have paid in my lifetime. A lot of Aussies based here are also angel
investing back in Australia creating yet more jobs.

Your argument regarding acting is also flawed. Actors are not born with all
of their skills - they need to develop them. Australian actors coming to
Hollywood makes them better actors because they get exposed to the world's
best directors, producers, script writers - even makeup artists. They have
to work harder at their trade to rise above the competition. And the
network matters... the people there help them get to where they want to
go - the agents, the PR people, the older generations of actors who can
mentor them, etc. etc. Working in Hollywood takes them from being merely
good to being great.

I commend Nikki on everything she is doing but her story is a dime a dozen
over here. There are almost 100 YCombinator startups this 'intake'. And
from previous years' graduates, only a small percent make it. She should be
here for at least the next ten years learning, growing and proving what she
is made of with her current startup, and new ones. Can you imagine her
skills when she returns back to Oz? Or if she stays here, the help she can
provide to the next generation of Aussies trying to make it?

IMHO, as a community we should be encouraging more Aussies to make the
jump. Australians win almost 5% of the medals at the Olympics ... We should
be aiming to be at least 5% of all funding rounds, YCombinator intake,
500Startups, etc.