Big props to Simran for pushing the point here.

Agree or disagree, the discussion is the most important bit.

My thoughts:

1. The idea that you HAVE to move to the Valley to be successful is
ridiculous.

2. The idea that it's unlikely that we'll build anything like Silicon
Valley in Australia so we should stop trying to create an ecosystem
that creates internationally relevant startups that maintain a strong
local presence, is equally ridiculous.

3. As Simran rightly points out "success" is contextual.  The idea
that success is only measured by the valuation of a business or, as
Elias speaks about in his blog post about Snake Oil and Ponzi schemes,
the mere fact that your startup was acquired,  is flawed.

In other words, there's nothing "un-successful" about creating a
profitable startup in Australia that doesn't take any money and
therefore doesn't have an investment figure generated valuation, or
not being acquired. I know many startups like this locally and their
founders should be recognised as successful entrepreneurs too.

4. The idea that we should do our best to create the free flow of
capital and resources between Australia and other startup hubs, in
particular the Valley, is a valid one. Free flow as in 2-way. It's
very 1-way at the moment but I know there are good people trying to
change this.

5. The support for entrepreneurs that is a key part of american
society and culture, and the way that's amplified in the Valley,  is
probably the biggest competitive advantage it has over any other
startup hub in the world. Tall Poppy Syndrome (as Patrick rightly
points out) is the biggest competitive disadvantage we have here.
#unhate

All the above having been said, my belief is that every Aussie startup
entrepreneur should spend some time in the Valley. The amount of time
will depend on your personal situation and the nature of your startup
and the market(s) it wants to operate in.