Thanks for the responses guys. Some very interesting points and ideas to
consider.

I'm not convinced by quadrocopters. Almost all the cool videos you see out
of ETH Zurich and UPenn's Grasp Lab involve rooms with numerous Vicon
cameras ($100k+ each) tracking each robot. There's no way to do this in the
home. Even if the prices came down, I don't want a solution that
*relies*on fixed infrastructure, even if part of what I'm suggesting
involves home
automation and implies infrastructure. The setup and calibration of a
system like that might be suitable for B2B with a service contract, but
doubtful for consumers. I would like the robot to be *capable* of operating
just fine on its own, but to be capable of greater things if part of an
interconnected home.

In terms of TVs/computers/smartphones being able to do the things I'm
suggesting, this is true in part, but definitely not as a whole. Part of
the reason for using a mobile robot is that one set of sensors can be moved
to perceive different areas of the home - fixed TVs and computers can't do
this unless you have lots of them, and then the costs blow out. Smartphones
don't currently have an RGBD camera or any other great means of building 3D
maps, and even if we tried to do this with camera data only, they don't
have the processing power onboard to achieve it. Sure, we could offload
that computation to the cloud, but if you're going to all that trouble you
should probably just buy my robot instead... :-)

Incidentally, some of the people in my research group have done work in
tracking people in known environments when they continually go out of the
field of view of a robot (or group of robots). It is certainly possible,
although obviously the longer they're out of view, the less trust you can
place in the estimated solution.

Someone I bumped into today suggested that even if I'm not able to include
a manipulator, I should at least sell a cup-holder attachment.

Cheers,
Tom