Raman,

I've had a handful of (unsuccessful) startups, and here is a rough litmus
test for evaluating new potential businesses that I've learned along the
way.

1 - Is it solving a real problem (some really dumb ideas end up getting
funded - take Klout for instance)?

2 - Is it solving a problem that should be solved (some things are hard
because they need to be. If you started a school where everyone was
guaranteed full marks on their exams, are you actually helping anybody?)

3 - Do you understand the market? Would you buy your own product?

4 - Does the business model play to your personal strengths (for example,
I'm good at complex face-to-face sales, but would rather slit my wrists
than make 100 cold calls a day - therefore any business model that relies
on lots of cold calls is out for me)

5 - Can you build and test an MVP for <$5,000? If not, churning through
ideas til you hit one that works is going to get really expensive

Also, as a personal preference I prefer business models that are
transactional and not reliant on advertising, and have recurring revenue.
ie people come to the site because they want to buy something, and they
keep coming back to buy more stuff without me having to do a whole lot.

If it ticks all those boxes, give it a shot.

--

Cheers,

Ryan Wardell

CEO & Founder - Cofounder Speed Date