Corey,

Your biggest problem is actually you appear to be planning on using
Kickstarter to go from concept to prototype. Now let's leave aside the
fact, that you should consider that Ubuntu tried to do pretty much what
you've talked about (Ubuntu Edge) and didn't even raise half of what they
thought they needed to get to an initial product. Let's leave aside, I
can't think what you're going to offer people that will entice them to give
you money for an OS project (which is why Ubuntu tried to make it a
hardware/software project). Let's imagine you get people to give you some
money.

I was a technology journalist for nearly a decade. If I came across this
story, my first reaction would be this is a great basis for a story about
how dangerous crowdfunding is for punters to get scammed out of parting
with their money for projects that bomb. Now, I'm not suggesting that's
your intention. I'm saying as a journalist, that's my initial response, and
that would be how I'd approach your story.

If you want to have a crack at this, and you want to get to prototype by
investing your own money and time, or even raise money from friends and
family, go for it. If you fail, you'll learn from it and nobody really gets
hurt. But don't even think of using crowdfunding until you've got a working
prototype. You'll need publicity to raise any kind of money, and your
project will get eaten alive by journalists unless you have something
tangible to back up such a grand "vision". That's not such a good learning
experience.

Phil

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Clifford Heath <clifford.he...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 06/11/2013, at 6:58 PM, Corey Baines <coreyba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > p.s. I would like to keep this discussion constructive and clean,
>
> Did I say anything that was unclean? I'm more than willing to be
> constructive,
> and your ideas are not without merit, but there are several ways in which
> the
> laws of physics will need to be changed.
>
> Regarding physics:
>
> 1) What MIP/Watt figure is needed for your device to succeed?
> (Hint: about 100x current technology is capable of)
>
> 2) How many MBPS do you need to "connect wirelessly to a display"?
> (Hint: about 10,000x NFC communications is capable of).
>
> These kinds of questions require someone who has the basic engineering
> insight to be able to answer.
>
> If you don't know how to answer these questions, you aren't at the
> starting gate yet.
>
> And that's not the worst of your problems. You want to disrupt a $T
> business,
> with no capital? Good luck with that.
>
> Clifford Heath.
>

> > Hi Clifford,
> > Thanks for your comment, now as like last time you've given me plenty to
> think about.
> > But I'd like to make clear my vision for Spectrul's future and more
> importantly the possibilities a Spectrul based device will empower. Today
> most mobile devices have a very similar if not (in some respects) an exact
> same spec sheet as most household computers, and what do we use them for.
> Studies show that in the case of android, consumers use them as telephones
> only, and in the case of iOS, consumers while mainly using them to place
> calls, increasingly use them to play games, listen to music, and browse the
> internet. I believe these stats in regards android and iOS are backed up by
> the fact that the majority of android devices sold are cheap, limited and
> small phones, designed to take and place calls only. But forgetting that
> why are these devices (in particular android) still really only used for
> phone calls and light gaming? This is because the operating systems are
> overly complex and have never been expanded outside the confining
> definition of a smartphone.
> >
> > Spectrul will redefine that definition, allowing all Spectrul installed
> smartphones to connect wirelessly to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse,
> or controller. I am calling this connection Smartplay and it is based of a
> group of open source technologies including, Beacon, Alljoyn, and NFC. Once
> connected Spectrul is no longer a phone but a full computer, a full
> console, a full laptop and a replacement for many technologies into the
> future. As said in my first post, imagine taking a photo with Spectrul and
> then walking up to your desk as the monitor, keyboard and mouse connect
> automatically thanks to both beacon and alljoyn and now you can edit though
> photos in a full desktop app. A full quality photo, no shrinking the file,
> [...]

Phil Sim
Chief Executive Officer,
MediaConnect Australia Pty Ltd
www.mediaconnect.com.au